In recent years, Optilight roof windows have gained great recognition among experienced installers who value reliability and the simplicity of installation.
We would always recommend contacting an installer to fit a roof window, however, if you’re confident enough to do it yourself, make sure to follow the following steps.
- First mark the approximate position required for your new roof window to gain access to the tile or slate roof covering.
- Remove the first tile or slate by lifting and pulling it back between the battens.
- Once you have a suitable opening for access, cut the battens close to the side of the rafters.
- Insert the lower and top trimmer and nail securely.
- Take the roof window sash out of its frame and hold it firmly with the black arms out of the way and lift it from the pivot slots.
- Insert a metal dowel bracket in each of the four corner holes in the frame.
- Lift the roof window frame into the roof opening and drill or nail through a slot in each bracket.
- Once the window frame is firmly located in position, complete the weatherproofing of your roof window.
- Refit the sash and top sash cover.
- Locate the window in its place by holding and adjusting it so that the two pivot mechanisms slide into the channel slot on the frame.
- Reattach the top sash cover.
- Check everything is secure before releasing your roof window.